Tuesday, January 09, 2007

Saving Dinner

Two days and two posts, must be a world record for me. I figure that the only way to get back in the habit of blogging....is to do it... Hopefully I'll find my voice again and stop writing boring drivel.

One of my main focus' right now is de-cluttering and organizing. I have once again put on my "flybaby" wings. (www.flylady.com) I kind of came back to it backwards this time.

It all started when I changed jobs and Josh joined the school soccer team. Our already difficult schedule now includes two practices per week and two games per week, plus a child that burns all that energy has to replace it with....lots of food.... My old, "let's look in the fridge and figure out what's for dinner" routine just wasn't working. He was grumpy and hungry. I was grumpy and tired and didn't want to cook. We were eating out too often and eating poorly. I was happy with a bowl of cereal for dinner. For some strange reason, he didn't like that idea.

So I went back to www.savingdinner.com. I loved the idea of a pre-planned set of meals with a grocery list too! I guess it had been a while since I'd visited the website. There were a ton of new choices...including.... an entire service dedicated to crock-pot cooking.

I am not kidding when I tell you that it has completely changed my life!!! I didn't take time to think it over. I jumped in head first. I took the grocery list and bought everything. I didn't change the meals. I didn't worry about whether we'd like them or not. We just simply decided to go for it and see what happened. We could always have cereal.

I guess I was kind of in survival mode.

I knew I had to prep the night before so that I could put it together quickly in the morning.

I stayed up late the first night... but the next night, when we came home and dinner was done... I could've cried!!! It was so relaxing. No one was hungry and grumpy. I was actually quite happy to do the dishes (what few there were) and get prepped for the next day...

So changing the way I cooked meals, opened the door to helping me keep up with the dishes, organizing my shopping trips - no more daily grocery store runs... which gave me more time to do laundry....

Slowly I started adding in some of the other "flylady" ideas. I'm not a pro yet. I have a long way to go. But each day things seem to get better and better.

No comments: