Tuesday, April 22, 2008

A Little Green

Happy Earth Day! For the past six months or so, I have been trying to be better about consumption and trash. Do we really need all that we buy? and Can I recycle this? are the two main questions I've been asking myself.

In all honesty. I don't believe in global warming. I think the Earth changes and evolves. It did before we were here and it will after. But that doesn't mean that we shouldn't care about how we treat it and what resources we use.

So two questions work for me.

Do we need it?
Can I recycle this?

And so here are some of the changes we've made in our family.

Magazines - I'm on a magazine diet. I haven't bought a magazine for at least two months. I don't really need it, even though I can recycle it.

Re-usable bags - I still struggle with remembering to take them into the store, but I love them and love not having 10,000 plastic bags in my house! Besides, I think that those darn plastic bags are a hazard!!! My mom ran over one over 20+ years ago. It got stuck on her brakes and caused a ton of damage. Me, I ran over one a few months ago. It got stuck to my muffler and melted off for weeks!!! I hate seeing them floating all over the streets and freeways!!!

Two Trash Cans - One for recycling and one for everything else. We actually fill up the recycling can much faster than the regular can. Now if only my trash service would give us a big giant recycling can, life would be good. We just have a little bucket.....which we overflow each and every week.

Re-Usable water bottles - I take them everywhere I go...and yes, they're both a #7. One of the stories I've heard is that they break down from dishwasher use...well, good thing I don't have a dishwasher. LOL.

I'm contemplating cancelling my water delivery and switching to something like a Brita water filter. Haven't quite decided on this.

And my newest task??? Meals to go! So far I've started with breakfast. I make my breakfasts for the week on Sunday and put them in re-usable containers. Each morning I heat them up and make a piece of toast. No fast food trash!!

Next up - lunch. I feel guilty every day when I heat up my lean cuisine....

What are some of the things you're trying to do?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Been thinking about this a lot lately as well. We have been using the reusable bags, organic when possible, garden, recyling what we can (we have a large recycle bin), florescent lights, and I can't remember what else right now.


Here is an interesting thread from 2Peas that didn't get to crazy but had some great ideas.

http://twopeasinabucket.kaboose.com/mb.asp?cmd=display&thread_id=2542813#22164757