Wednesday, February 23, 2005

Updates and a new book to read

I had to look out the window to confirm my suspicions, but as of this minute it is NOT raining. The ground is wet, but I see no little sprinkles. Hopefully this will last a while and give the ground a chance to dry up. I haven't heard the updated totals, but it is quite possible that we have broken all the rainfall records set in my lifetime, so I can officially say I have never seen it rain this much. (Last time I heard I think it was the 5th rainiest year since they started keeping track.)

Knitting class was fun last night. We did two color knitting that was easy and created great patterns. I think I could get addicted to this kind of knitting. All the stray ends end up along one side. After dealing with my multiple color changes for my Hello Kitty projects, it's a welcome change!!

Speaking of Hello Kitty....I am oh soooo close to finishing my first crocheted Hello Kitty project from Daphne Mah!! I'm making a toiletries pouch that is so cute. I'm contemplating using it for a make-up carrier and adding little pockets inside for my make-up brush, mascara, eyeliner, etc... so that could slow me down as I have to make the pockets before I sew it together and add the zipper. It has been fun working on it, well except for the darn rev single crochet. Who thought up that torture?

It's time to update my currently reading list. I have officially put down Under the Tuscan Sun. You'll notice I didn't say I finished it. It's not really a novel. There's no storyline to grab your attention and make you want to turn the page. It includes some beautiful descriptions of the house, the culture and the cuisine, but it's just not my kind of book. At least not when there are so many other things to do and read.

Before I tell you what I am reading I should tell you why I'm reading it....

When I went to Orange a couple of weeks ago we made our Dollar Tree rounds. Gail sent me on a mission to secure more stuffed bears for her church project so after striking out at Dollar Tree number one, Bren and I headed off to the second Dollar Tree. Imagine our suprise when the lady in the car next to us at the second store was the same lady that was behind us in line at the first store.... We laughed and joked around with her and then she ended up in line behind us again. It turns out she was looking for some books on tape called "IBM and the Holocaust" by Edwin Black. She had already purchased and listened to a copy and was now buying it for friends. We asked her if it was something we needed to listen to and she said "yes." Her passion for this book was addicting so we ended up buying our own copies.

Unfortunately my tape number 1 won't work (what can you expect for $1), but I've listened to all of tape 2 and part of tape 3 and it is very interesting....

Then I watched Seventh Heaven and it was a episode about a Holocaust survivor....

Then my step-mom started telling me about a book she was reading about the Holocaust......

(It was about 48 hours from the time I started listening to the tapes until I talked to my step-mom...)

So I shared with her how the topic just kept coming up for me over and over again and said "maybe there's something I'm supposed to learn or pay attention to." Today she dropped off a copy of the book for me to read...

It's called Because of Tomek by David Faber. I read the first couple of pages and can already tell it will be a good book. I don't know what it is about this topic that is drawing me in right now, but I'm willing to follow the journey.

Oh and I just looked out the window again and it is POURING....

No comments: