Wednesday, April 01, 2009

Training

I feel like I have finally broken through a plateau in my riding. I used to be pretty inconsistent about riding the whole way home. I treasured the days when we had doctor appointments or meetings and I loved it when I could swing by Josh's work and pick up my car. Don't get me wrong, I liked to ride home, but I had a hard time doing it day after day. My body just couldn't handle it. I was exhausted and I was sore. If I had a hard ride home one day, I liked to do a partial ride the next day; and I was starting to wonder how I would do on our bike tour. Would I be able to do long rides back to back. Then all of the sudden this week, everything seems to be clicking. I'm completely enjoying my rides and I'm not totally exhausted when I finish. I can do a good solid 16 miles one day and then easily ride 10 the next day. And that's after working all day. I imagine it will be much easier to get the miles in when I start riding first thing in the morning!

I just looked over our 6 week training schedule for the bike tour and the only thing I have left to do is to start planning in some longer rides on the weekend. Three hours? No problem. Four hours? We did that once. Five hours and Six hours? Hmmm... Now, I'm getting a little worried. First I wonder if I can make it for six hours, then I wonder where in the world am I going to ride for 6 hours? It's all well and good that the tour says that our ride will be mostly flat. Maybe they have long flat valleys there, but this is San Diego and I'm not sure I can come up with a 6 hour ride that doesn't include some nasty hills.

Well, it's late and I better get to bed, I'm in training you know.

No comments: